To decorate the top of kitchen cabinets in a farmhouse style, start by priming the cabinets with a smooth finish paint. If you’re using a natural wood cabinet, also select a light color that will show off the grain of the wood. For a more sophisticated farmhouse look, use distressed or antique finishes. Opt for rustic or country accents such as harvest scenes or botanical prints to complete the look. To dress up the cabinets, choose coordinating appliances and accessories.
What is farmhouse style in kitchen cabinets and why should you emulate it?
If you want to create a kitchen that looks like it comes straight out of a farmhouse, then you should emulate the style of kitchen cabinets. This is especially true if you want to use traditional colors and textures in your kitchen. By using farmhouse style in your kitchen, you will create a more cozy and inviting space.
One key component to achieving the look of a farmhouse kitchen is the cabinet doors. These doors should be made from simple materials like wood or vinyl and have a distressed or vintage look. You can also add panels or knobs to these doors for additional texture and detail.
If you want to add some extra warmth and character to your kitchen, consider using natural materials like wood trim or stone countertops. These materials will accentuate the traditional look of your cabinets while adding a touch of rustic charm.
What are the essential ingredients of farmhouse style kitchen decorating?
When it comes to farmhouse-style kitchen decorating, you need to focus on three essential ingredients: natural materials, vintage accents, and a touch of whimsy. Start by using natural materials like wood or stone for your cabinetry and countertops. This will give your kitchen a rustic look that is perfect for country kitchens. For vintage accents, use items like china cabinet knobs or doilies. And finally, add a little bit of whimsy with fun accessories like a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet. By incorporating these elements into your kitchen design, you’ll create a space that truly reflects the heart of your farmhouse lifestyle.
1. Antique Treasures
Looking for a way to spice up your kitchen cabinets without breaking the bank? Check out antique treasures! However, these unique items can be used to dress up any kitchen and add an old-fashioned charm. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Start by decorate the top of your kitchen cabinets with antique mirrors. These pieces can give your cabinets a vintage look and feel and they’re also functional as decoration.
- Add some farmhouse style charm with old-fashioned spoons and ladles. Not only are they beautiful, but they can also come in handy when cooking!
- Invest in a few porcelain tea sets and place them on display in your cabinet doors. This will create the perfect setting for afternoon tea gatherings with friends.
2. Pretty Plates
Pretty plates are a great way to add a pop of color to your kitchen cabinets and farmhouse style decorate. You can choose from traditional plate designs like flowers or leaves, also go for something more unique like zigzag lines or abstract patterns. Not only will pretty plates look great on top of your cabinets, but they can also be used as serving dishes when hosting a party.
If you’re feeling creative, try out some of these ideas for designing your own pretty plates:
- Create a floral arrangement using brightly colored flowers in various sizes and shapes.
- Layer different types of plates together to create an interesting pattern.
- Design a plate with geometric shapes in different shades of blue, green, and purple.
- Create an abstract design using simple lines and circles.
- Choose vibrant colors that will stand out against the neutral palette of most kitchen Cabinets.
3. Meaningful Memorabilia
When decorate your top of the kitchen cabinets with farmhouse-themed items, it is important to keep in mind the meaning behind each piece. Here are a few examples of meaningful memorabilia that can be used to add character and warmth to your kitchen:
- A framed photograph of your family or friends enjoying a day at the farm.
- Collections of porcelain animals, collectibles from your travels, or tools from your work days.
- Souvenirs from special occasions – a keepsake from a summer vacation, a childhood toy brought back from overseas, or a wedding gift.
- Personal mementos like notes left for you by loved ones or letters written during happy times.
4. Collectible Items
Are you looking for a way to spruce up your kitchen with some farmhouse style decor? Maybe you’re thinking about adding some beautiful collectible items to your cabinets. Here are a few ideas that might work for you:
- Bakeware: A set of vintage oven mitts or a pretty cake server can add a touch of farmhouse elegance to your kitchen.
- Pottery: Chunky blue and cream pots from the 1940s or 50s would be perfect for adding personality to your cabinets.
- Knives: Collectible chef’s knives can add an extra level of class to your kitchen. Look for ones with interesting handles, like those made out of wood or bone.
- Cutlery Sets: If you have a lot of different types of knives, consider buying a set that includes everything from steak knives to carving knives.
5. Basket Display
Creating a beautiful basket display in your kitchen can be a fun and easy way to Update your look. There are many different ways to do this, so find what works best for you. You could use baskets of all different shapes and sizes, or try grouping related items together like fruit, vegetables, and baking supplies. If you have farmhouse style cabinets, you could even hang baskets from the top of the cabinets using pretty ribbon or cord. The possibilities are endless!
6. Farmhouse Kitchen Cabinets With Open Shelving
If you love the rustic feel of a farmhouse kitchen, then you’ll love adding open shelving to your cabinets! Not only does this give your kitchen a more updated look, but it also makes it easier to organize and access your ingredients. Here are a few tips for decorating top of kitchen cabinet with open shelving:
- Choose reclaimed wood for the shelves and drawer fronts: This will give your kitchen a more natural look and feel.
- Add texture with paint or tiles: This will add interest and dimension to your cabinets.
- Use coordinating hardware: This will help tie everything together visually.
- Choose plants or flowers as centerpieces: This can add personality and life to an otherwise sterile space.
7. Keep It Practical
When decorate your kitchen, keep it practical by choosing farmhouse style cabinets. This style is traditional and timeless, so it will look great in any home. You can choose to paint your cabinets a light color or leave them unfinished, but be sure to add a few functional pieces like a pantry or butcher block countertop. When choosing appliances, go for those that are practical and easy to use – something like an oven or stovetop range will do the trick. And lastly, don’t forget about accessories like curtains and rugs – they can add personality and comfort to your kitchen space.
8. Hang Some Wallpaper
If your kitchen is looking a little too sterile for your taste, why not spruce it up a bit with some colorful wallpaper? Not only will it add personality to the space, but it can also help to conceal any imperfections in the cabinetry. Here are a few farmhouse-inspired designs that would be perfect for topping your kitchen cabinets:
- This geometric pattern is perfect for a modern or rustic kitchen.
- This floral design is delicate and feminine, but still has enough edge to make a statement.
- This muted color palette would be perfect for a more subdued environment.
- If you want something a little more festive, try this bright stripe pattern.
- For an extra dose of color, go with something brighter like this primary red color option.
9. Rustic Charm & A Touch Of Stripes
When it comes to decorating your kitchen, a little rustic charm goes a long way. And the best way to achieve that is by adding some stripes! By mixing together different colors of paint and using different widths of stripes, you can create a unique look for your kitchen cabinets. Plus, with farmhouse style in mind, this simple addition will give your kitchen that touch of elegance that you’ve been searching for.
10. Farmhouse Flair
When it comes to decorating your kitchen, there is no better way to add farmhouse flair than by topping your cabinets with a few pieces of farmhouse décor. This includes things like country-style oven mitts, farmhouse patterned dish towels, and even a vintage candle holder. Not only will these little bits of decor help to tie the entire kitchen together, but they can also be used as functional pieces, such as holding utensils while you’re cooking or serving food.
11. Bright White Cabinets & Large Wood Island
If you’re looking for a way to add brightness and personality to your kitchen cabinets, consider painting them a bright white. This color is perfect for farmhouses or any other home with a rustic feel. Not only will this cabinet paint give your kitchen a fresh new look, it can also help to brighten up the space. If you’re looking for an extra large island in your kitchen, consider opting for one made out of wood. Not only are these islands stylish and functional, they can also add some much-needed storage space.
12. White Shaker Cabinets
When it comes to kitchen cabinets, white is always a popular choice. This color can go with any style of home, and it works well with most kitchen themes. However, if you’re looking to really spruce up your kitchen and take it up a notch, consider using white shaker cabinets. These cabinets are designed to look like those that would typically be found on a farmhouse or other rural setting. They can add an element of class and sophistication to your kitchen, making it feel more like a home away from home. If you’re on the hunt for some unique and eye-catching kitchen cabinet ideas, be sure to check out white shaker cabinets!
13. Vintage Vignette
When decorating your kitchen cabinets, consider adding a vintage vignette to top of the cabinets. A farmhouse style kitchen features appliances and cabinetry that are well-worn and in need of a little TLC. To add this look, start by painting the cabinets a light brown color and then distress them with a few simple details. For example, add dings, nicks, and scratches to the doors and sides with a paintbrush. You can also add wider cracks down the center of cabinet doors to give them an aged appearance. If you want to go even further, add some rustic farmhouse knobs or pulls to complete the look.
14. Softly-Distressed Farmhouse Kitchen
A farmhouse kitchen is always a warm and inviting space, but sometimes it can feel a bit too rustic for some people. If you’re looking to add a touch of refinement to your cabinets, consider softening the look with some pretty fabrics or colorful accessories. Here are few ways to do just that:
- Decorate the top of your kitchen cabinets with fabric panels. This will add a touch of luxury while still keeping the rustic appeal of the cabinet base. You can find premade panels at most hardware stores or you can create your own by cutting pieces of fabric to fit and seaming them together.
- Add colorful accessories like pot holders, oven mitts, placemats, and other decorative items. These will help brighten up the space and make it more comfortable to work in.
15. Themed Decor
Adding a touch of farmhouse style to your kitchen can be easy with some themed decor. For example, if you are inclined towards country living, consider adding antiques and farm implements to your cabinets. If you prefer a coastal feel, go for colorful shells and seaweed. Whichever theme you choose, make sure that all of the pieces come from the same era or place. This will give your kitchen a cohesive look and feel.
16. Dark Cabinets With Contrasting Subway Tile
Are you looking for a way to spruce up your kitchen cabinets without too much work? If so, then you should consider using contrasting subway tile as a decorating feature. This type of tile can add excitement and life to a traditional kitchen while also being practical. Here are some tips on how to put dark cabinets with contrasting subway tile together:
- Start by choosing the right tiles for your cabinet doors and flooring. You’ll want tiles that are both bold and complementary, so choose something like shades of green, blue, or purple.
- Once you have your tiles picked out, it’s time to start drilling holes in the walls and floors of your cabinets. Be sure to account for any plumbing or other wiring that may be necessary before beginning this step!
17. Small Cabinet Decor
When it comes to decorating your top of the kitchen cabinets, a farmhouse style is a great option. This style incorporates lots of natural materials like wood and stone, giving your kitchen a rustic and chic look. Here are some tips on how to decorate your top of the kitchen cabinets in this style:
- Choose natural materials for your cabinet doors and drawer fronts. Wood is a popular choice because it has a rustic look that can be customized to fit your needs. Stone is also a great option because it has an old world charm that can make your kitchen feel more spacious.
- Add farmhouse accents like baskets filled with harvest vegetables or cookware adorned with barnyard animals. A set of farmhouse chairs can complete the look of your kitchen by adding comfort and style.
18. Rustic Reclaimed Wood Cabinets
If you’re looking for a rustic and reclaimed look for your kitchen cabinets, then farmhouse style is perfect for you! You can find these cabinets in any furniture store or online, but the best way to get the most authentic look is to find a store that specializes in reclaimed wood.
The first thing you’ll want to do is choose your paint color. A light yellow or off-white will be great for the walls and trim, while dark browns and blacks will give the cabinetry a more rich appearance. If you have kids or pets, consider adding some simple Hutch style doors with locking mechanisms so they can’t accidentally open them during snacks or petting time.
To complete the farmhouse look, add some shabby chic accessories like old quilts and country pillows.
19. Mixed Media Kitchen Cabinet Decor
Adding a touch of mixed media to your kitchen cabinets can create a unique and stylish look for your farmhouse style home. You can use different types of paints, inks, and waxes to create a unique look that is sure to stand out. There are many different ways to add mixed media to your cabinets, so take some time to explore the options and find the look that appeals to you.
20. Modern Farmhouse Kitchen
Modern farmhouse kitchens are a popular design trend and for good reason. They have a rustic aesthetic that is perfect for modern homes, and they are easy to update as your home grows and changes. Some of the key features of a modern farmhouse kitchen include plenty of natural light and open spaces, high-quality materials and fixtures, and a sleek, modern design. When decorating your top kitchen cabinets in a farmhouse style, it’s important to choose high-quality pieces that will last.
This includes appliances like ovens and refrigerators, as well as cabinetry materials like wood or metal. When making updates to your kitchen, be sure to coordinate the new pieces with the original architecture — this will create a cohesive look that is both stylish and functional.
21. Rafter Shelving
Rafter shelving is the perfect way to organize your top of kitchen cabinets and give them a farmhouse look. This type of shelving is made out of wooden boards that are spaced evenly apart and have a sloped edge. The boards are attached to the wall using brackets or nails, so you can customize the look of your shelves however you want.
This type of shelving is great for storing items like pots and pans, baking sheets, and other kitchen supplies. It also makes it easy to access these items without having to search through a pile of dishes and silverware. Plus, because rafter shelving is adjustable, you can always find the right spot for whatever you’re storing.
22. Small Modern Farmhouse Kitchen
A small modern farmhouse kitchen with a bright, airy decorate and sleek cabinets is the perfect place to cook up a storm. With its open layout, this kitchen makes use of natural light and easy-to-clean surfaces to create an inviting environment. There are plenty of spaces for cooking and eating, as well as storage for all your cooking supplies. Add a few simple touches to complete the look and you’ve got yourself the perfect kitchen for your next farmhouse renovation project!
23. Door-Free Cabinets
Decorate top of kitchen cabinets with farmhouse style by using door-free cabinets. This simple way to update your kitchen will give it a rustic feel that you’ll love. Door-free cabinets are available in many styles, so you can create the perfect look for your home.
Choose cabinet doors that are made from natural materials like wood or metal, and then add distressed details to create a look that is unique and perfect for your kitchen.
You can also choose cabinet doors with glass inserts to let in plenty of light and make cooking easier. When it comes to choosing door-free cabinets, there is no limit to the possibilities!
24. Bright & Busy Rustic Farmhouse Kitchen
The bright and busy farmhouse kitchen is decorate top of the cabinets with colorful accents. The large farmhouse table is positioned in the center of the room, also surrounded by comfortable chairs. The walls are painted a light blue color and feature cream-colored trim. Bright yellow flowers decorate the windowsills.
The kitchen is complete with all of the necessary appliances a stove, oven, dishwasher, refrigerator, sink, And also cupboards. The space is spacious and airy perfect for cooking delicious meals for family and friends. However, The warm colors and relaxing atmosphere make this a perfect kitchen to call home.
25. Add More Cabinets
Adding more cabinets to your kitchen can give it a more finished feel. A farmhouse-inspired kitchen is perfect for adding extra storage, counter space, and character. However here are some tips on how to decorate the top of kitchen cabinets to achieve this look:
- Start by determining the style you want to emulate with your kitchen. Also do you want a rustic look with exposed wood and rough edges? Or are you going for a sleek and modern design with stainless steel and sleek lines?
- Determine the size of your cabinet doors and draw inspiration from different styles of kitchen cabinetry. Also, do you want classic double doors or something more modish with a half-moon window?
- Add personal touches such as knobs, pulls, or dainty trim around the edge of your cabinet doors.
26. White Cabinets & Rustic Exposed Brick
Themed kitchens are all the rage right now, also one popular way to create one is by decorating the top of kitchen cabinets with farmhouse-inspired exposed brick. This look is perfect for a rustic or contemporary home and can be achieved by simply painting or stenciling the brick’s exposed surface. If you want to take this look a step further, consider adding distressed wood floors or window treatments to complete the look.
Looking to spruce up your kitchen with a farmhouse style renovation, consider adding some decorative pieces to the cabinets above the counter. You can choose from a variety of items, such as painted or distressed wood paneling, mismatched knickknacks, and vintage dishes. If you’re feeling particularly creative, you could even try installing a custom cabinet door. Once you’ve got your decor sorted out, sweep off the old countertops and start cooking!
Tips For Choosing The Right Accessories
Adding a few accents and finishing touches to your kitchen cabinetry initially can give it a unique farmhouse look. Here are some tips for choosing the right accessories:
- Choose coordinating hardware to finish the look.
- Add a farmhouse towel rack or basket to hold dish towels and spoons.
- Consider adding a farmhouse-style butcher block top to your cabinet. This also can be purchased at most home centers or specialty stores.
- Add distressed white paint, faux barn wood panels, or country-style wall tiles to complete the look of your kitchen cabinetry.
The Final Thought
Want to add a touch of farmhouse elegance to your kitchen, wall mounts some cabinets and dress them up with farm decor. This can be as simple as hanging farm tools or vintage photos, also as elaborate as building a small barn from painted wood pieces. Either way, The end result will be a unique and charming addition to your kitchen.